In this post, we’ll go through some of the basics on how to optimise your Google Business Profile for better search visibility and focused towards motivated customers near your business.
Google Business Profile is a free feature from Google that helps business owners manage their online presence across the search engine and its growing portfolio of utilities, including Google Maps, Search Console, and Analytics. Seasoned Search Engine Optimisation professionals use Google Business Profiles to leverage a location-based strategy to attract customers looking for local businesses. Creating a Google Business Profile is the first step to local search success.
What Is Google My Business?
When you create a Google Business Profile, you’ll be able to add photos and a description to your listing. Google Business is a free online business directory that provides some basic Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and marketing tools to local businesses. Business owners can add detailed information about their business such as an address, phone number, hours of operation, website, reviews, and more. Google My Business data can also be used to create a mobile-friendly listing for search terms, add a click-to-call feature, and create a business card.
Why You Need To Optimise Your Google Business Profile
There are a lot of reasons why you need to optimise your Google Business Profile.
- Better Search Visibility – If you optimise your Google Business Profile then Google will be more inclined to show your listing more often and higher in search results – especially compared to competitors who don’t optimise and update their info. Don’t forget, if a potential customer likes what they see on your Google Business Profile, they can then click on your listing to visit your website, call you up, or visit your premises.
- More Clickthroughs – People who see what they’re looking for within your Google Business listing are way more likely to then click on your listing. If they like what they see, they can click to call you, visit your website, or find out more information on your business.
- Better SEO – Google uses your business information to build more relevant search results to people searching for your products or service. If you maximize your Google Business Profile then not only will your Business Listing appear higher up on that crucial first page of search results but it will also bring your actual website results higher.
- Increased Prospects – Potential customers who see your listing will also see your business information. If they like what they see, they can click on your phone number or website link to visit your business and potentially make a purchase or discuss your services.
- Better Google Analytics Data – Google will show your listing data in its Analytics tools. This data will give you an in-depth look at how many visitors your site received, how long they spent on your site, and what their typical search terms were. This can help maximize your Organic Search Engine Optimisation efforts as it will show you which areas of your website are most sought after and worth focusing on.
- More Leverage For Google Maps – Google will show your listing data in Google Maps. For example, if you owned a Cafe in the middle of town and you included within your Google Business listing that you provide baked goods then anyone searching “baked goods near me” will then see your listing and come find your Cafe! The Google Maps data will also give you an in-depth look at how many visitors your business received and what their typical locations were when searching for your business.
Complete Every Section
Before we go over each section of your Google Business Profile, make sure you have the basics done.
- Business Information – Add as detailed information as possible about the business such as an address, phone number, website, services, and more. These will help Google know what search terms to display your business for.
- Photos – Add as many relevant photos to the business listing as possible including your logo, interior shots, exterior shots, team shots and more! These will also appear within your Google Business information and searches.
- Map – If you have a physical location such as an office or shop, you can add the address on your Google Business Profile which will help Google prove you’re a legitimate business as well as direct potential customers to finding you.
- Reviews – Reviews are crucial to the success of your Google Business profile and search rankings. The more 5 star reviews your receive the more authoritative your business listing will be.
- Hours Of Operation – Enter the hours of operation if you want to keep customers in the loop of when you’re open and available for calls, emails, or visitors.
- Contact Information – Add your email address and phone number if you want to receive calls and emails from customers directly from your business listing. This also allows people to get in touch very quickly rather than having to find your details on your website or social media.
- – FAQs – Add any Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about your product or service so customers can quickly and effectively find the information they may be looking for.
Be Meticulous With Information
Google My Business listings are meant to be as detailed as possible. However, if you want to rank high in the search results, you need to be very careful with what you put in your profile. Google will automatically detect and flag up any information that they believe is incorrect or missing. This can cause your listing to be demoted or even removed from the search engine altogether if it’s not up to their strict standards. Worried that your Google Profile isn’t up to scratch? Get In Touch with Athena Media for help!
Add Photos To Your Google Business Profile
Google will show your business listing with the photos you have added. You can upload and add as many photos as you want, however, we do recommend being quite strict and ensuring the photos represent the quality of the product or service you provide – nobody likes blurry photos! Google will display a thumbnail photo in your search listing and allow viewers to see all the photos you’ve uploaded. Remember, a range of shots is always preferred – including team photos, product shots, office or location shots, and many more!
Get Optimised Google Reviews
Try to get as many 5* verified reviews on your Google Business Profile as possible. This will help your business get more visibility as Google will deem it a succesful and sought-after business that customers are likely looking for. Google shows customer reviews on your Google Business Profile and on search. You can reply to these reviews and report any inappropriate or spam comments.
We recommend asking customers you’ve got a good relationship with or had a fantastic experience to place a review on Google for you – remember the longer and more detailed the review the better it is! If they can’t do Google, ask them for one on social media as they can also appear on your Google Business listing.
Keep Your Business Info Up To Date
Update your business information as often as possible. If you change your phone number, email address, website, or address, or take some new photos, update it on your Google Business Profile. You can use the update feature on your Google Business Profile to make any updates.
Google Business Profiles are a great way to increase your visibility and get more customers coming through your door. All you need to do is create a Google Business Listing, add your business information, and add photos to your listing. You can also request reviews, keep your information up to date, and more to bolster your Google Business Profile and therefore your Digital Marketing efforts and SEO. It’s that simple! You can also leverage Google My Business to track your online marketing and make sure your online presence is up-to-date.